This post will go through the process of building a website from scratch using WordPress, and will provide you with a simple checklist to get you up and running with the basics, including plugin recommendations for backup systems and security.
How to Install WordPress to your webspace
I’m going to install this WordPress site manually which isn’t too difficult. This will be a test installation, the actual live URL will be assigned to this installation later. The basic steps are as follows:
- Using an FTP program like Filezilla, login to your webspace.
- Download a fresh copy of WordPress from wordpress.org
- Using Filezilla, upload the contents of the wordpress.org download to a folder on your webspace.
- Login to your hosting provider and create a MySQL database. Make a note of the Database name, username, password, and host.
- In your web browser, navigate to the installation folder you’ve just uploaded WordPress to. You’ll see the installation wizard. Add the database information to the form. After this enter your required username and password, and admin email.
- That’s it!
Installing Core WordPress plugins
This should be at the core of any WordPress installation. Sites do get hacked, you need to have security plugins to prevent the worst happening, and a backup system in place so you can recover quickly if you do get hacked. Let’s call it a belt and braces approach! We’re installing WordFence and UpDraftPlus.